This Click Down Technique is recommended by Dave Logan in Tribal Leadership as a method for uncovering your or someone else's core value. While it's quite useful for uncovering your core value, I find it useful for getting to the bedrock truth of anything: what's behind a certain feeling, a strange habit I can't break, and more.
Here's how it works:
- Ask a question about whatever you want to get to the bottom of. For example, “What is my greatest fear for the future?” or “What kind of work do I enjoy the most?”.
- Write out your answer as it comes to mind (don't think too much about it).
- Now, notice any words that seem unique or important and imagine them like hyperlinks.
- “Click down” into them by asking another “why” question about the each "hyperlink."
- Keep clicking down until your answer is something like "Just because" or "That's how it is."